In todays world where we are using WiFi technology more and more its critical that we do so safely.
Also the availability of Wi-Fi hotspots at public places such as coffee shops, airports, and hotels has made it more convenient for us to access the Internet when we are away from the office or home. Unfortunately, the convenience comes with a huge risk as most public Wi-Fi hotspots do not encrypt.
Our 10 tips to help with your wireless security
- Change the default administration passwords and usernames of routers and access points.
- Turn on wireless network encryption, either WPA2 or WPA3 but not WEP!
- When given a preference, use AES over AES/TKIP.
- Set a strong password for your wireless network, not your pets name!
- Change your wireless password periodically.
- Change default SSID.
- Stop auto connecting to open WiFi networks.
- Position the Router or Access Point strategically.
- Enable Firewalls and install reputable Security Software.
- Turn off Network during extended periods of non-use.
- Use HTTPS versions of websites, where available.
At Utility Networks we are here to help by offering advice and support when you need it,